Monday, September 8, 2008

Just Fishing

I think it's about time that dear ole' mom gets into the blogging game. I have been a bit reluctant to post. Unlike most of my fellow bloggers, our children are now older and easily embarrassed by their uncool parents:D. (Did I get that smile right?).



I now have something that I would like to share. In fact, our children have encourage me to share something that we have had a lot of fun with. For those of you that know me well, you know that a love to use analogies to teach our children. I find that most of the time you can make your point a little easier. Well here is my analogy for courting or dating or whatever you want to call it.

LIFETIME MATE FISHING


The basic rules of Mate Fishing 101.

DETERMINE THE TYPE OF FISH

The steps below are only effective while fishing for a lifetime mate. Fishing for a weekend mate is not recommend. This method can only lead to diaster.
1) CHOSE THE RIGHT POND
Fish only from the right pond. The water source always determines the quality of the fish.
There are many ponds out in the cold world. Some of those ponds have become polluted by the world. They may yield undesirable fish, be careful. Also, while fishing in the right pond watch for the undesirable fish that have made their way into the right pond but don't like the clear waters of this pond. BE CAREFUL!

2) STAND ON THE BANK
While fishing, you must always keep your feet planted firmly on the bank. DO NOT GO WADING. Wading may cause blurred vision which would prevent a good fisherman from seeing hidden danger.

3) OBSERVATION
While standing on the bank, observe the fish as they swim. Take your time choosing the right fish. Observe the habits of the fish from day to day. Remember good fisherman have learned to wait for the right fish. It also imporant, at this time, to ask a wiser fisherman for help.


NOTE: If a fish jumps on the bank, during this step, gently guide that fish back in the water. This is probably not your fish.

4) CHOSE YOUR BAIT
Once you have located a fish that looks good to you. It is time to bait your hook. Use caution when choosing your bait and hook. Remember catching a quality fish requires quality bait. It may take a little time to hook a good fish, be patient.

5) FISHING
Once you have hooked a fish, draw it closer to the bank for further observation. Do not bring it on the bank yet. Keep in mind that the fish and the fisherman must be able to see each other clearly during this step. The fish and/or the fisherman may look different upon viewing closer. This step may take some time.

6) FISH SELECTON
Sometimes a fisherman hooks the wrong fish. It may take some time before you hook the right one for you. It is possible to hook a good fish that is not your fish. If you find that this is the case, use caution and gentley release the fish back into the pond. Also note that lifetime mate fishing should always be taken seriously. Seek wise council. This is not a catch and release sport. (Someone could get hurt.) You may see this fish sometime the the future.

7) CATCHING THE FISH
Once you determine that you have hooked the right fish. You may ask this fish, "Do you agree that we should swim together forever". If your fish responds with a hardy "I Do". You may then move to your new pond together. This is the beginning your new life with your very own fish. You will find that the process is well worth it.

6 comments:

His Mercy Endureth Forever September 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

Definitely words from the wise! So often we see young people choosing "mates" based on qualities that don't withstand time! Thanks for the great analogy.

Pat September 8, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

Kathy, I loved reading this and the humor you put into it!

Sydney Sanders September 9, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

Sister Kathy,
I've already heard this spoken from you but it was so good to hear it again! so true! i love it!

Anonymous,  September 11, 2008 at 7:03 AM  

Sister "K", You Rock. What a Great Analogy. I look forward to more analogies.

Borrowed Dad

PS... I am contently swimming in my pond with my one and only. I am not sure if I caught her or she caught me or if we just became hooked together. Never the less our small frye have grown into beautiful sun fish that glimmer and shine each day. God is Great.

Dani September 11, 2008 at 10:02 AM  

I love this analogy. Something tells me that Gary might find a use for it with the unborn son that he's already planning fishing trips with.

:D and yes you got the smile right.

Kelly Spezzano September 12, 2008 at 5:48 AM  

Adopted Mom... What a great first time post! I can fully attest to these wise words... I fished out in the wrong ponds as a young adult and caught absolutely the wrong fish... and after that struggle (as I have shared with you) the Lord allowed me a second chance to go fishing and the pond this time was good clear water, and what a blessing I caught the second time around!

Hope to hear more insight from you!